Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Flu and You (and me)

I've been pretty good about updating this since I got back. I've told you about the trouble I managed to get myself into while I was gone and some since I've been home. Unfortunately, over the last two days I've progressed from feeling a bit rundown to death slightly warmed over. Yes; I have the flu.

Lucky me.

While I will continue to update, I'm afraid that the sex (and subsequent stories of it) is on a temporary hold; I'm not always the nicest and most considerate of tops, but I am not such an asshole as to give people the flu just to get my nut off. At least, not yet.

I'm going back to bed (scary, since it's only 0904 and I've only been awake for an hour). I was lucky enough to be put on quarters, so no work until Monday. Hopefully I won't look and feel like the walking dead by then. When the boredom begins to really set in, I'll write up some classic Mike stories...i.e., things that happened from my life before I started this blog.

Before I go, allow me 2 minutes to share what I learned today, courtesy of the long-winded Doc at the clinic and your friends at the CDC:


Every year in the United States, on average:
+ 5% to 20% of the population gets the flu;
+ more than 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu complications, and;
+ about 36,000 people die from flu.
+ Some people, such as older people, young children, and people with certain health conditions, are at high risk for serious flu complications.

Symptoms of flu include:
+ fever (usually high)
+ headache
+ extreme tiredness
+ dry cough
+ sore throat
+ runny or stuffy nose
+ muscle aches
+ Stomach symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, also can occur but are more common in children than adults

How Flu Spreads
Flu viruses spread mainly from person to person through coughing or sneezing of people with influenza. Sometimes people may become infected by touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose. Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 days after becoming sick. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick.

See? Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Time to crash


~Mike
Send Mike an E-mail

No comments:

Google Search

Google
 
 
Twisted Blogs